Plants and Mushrooms
There are many plants and fungi that can be dangerous or even fatal if ingested. Children in particular are at risk of harmful effects from garden plants as they crawl and taste various flora. It is important to teach children not to ingest strange flowers, leaves and other parts straight from a plant or bush.
Common symptoms of poisoning from plants include:
- stomach cramps
- burning to the lips, mouth or throat
- itching, rash or allergic symptoms
- More severe effects can include irregular heart beat and convulsions (fitting)
- Amanita mushrooms (fly agaric)
- Angel's trumpet (Jimsonweed)
- Dumb cane (Dieffenbachia)
FIRST AID for poisoning from plants is as for any other ingestion or contact.